We are in the process of deciding what survey items we should use for a pre and post evaluation, in addition to using open ended questions and focus groups
Our current options include
- The Spirituality and Health Status Survey (see below)
- The Five Disciplines: A Spiritual Self Assessment (see below)
- Health status (using a Center for Disease Control questions for physical and emotional health) Spiritual practices and well-being (show in red below)
- Behaviors associated with decreased hospitalization.
- Use of four communication, stress management and prayer skills (i.e., awareness, affirmations, assertiveness, acceptance – which are taught as the “Satisfaction Skills”)
Our ongoing studies that have documented that emotional health is significantly affected by prayer and forgiveness (as illustrated below). That is , those who are able to forgive themselves and others, as well as those who often pray privately, have significantly fewer “bad emotional days” each month.
Our research has also found a strong association (R2 = 52 – using stepwise multiple regression) between spiritual wellness and the following factors:
- Looking to God for guidance
- Ability to forgive myself (acceptance)
- Carrying religious beliefs into all areas of life
- Praying privately
- Telling thoughts and feelings to others (assertiveness)